Thursday, January 22, 2015

Back pain

I am told that as far as triplet pregnancies go mine was about as good as they get.  I only have 3 singleton's to compare it to and I can tell you it was certainly harder than those, but I do feel fortunate to   have had a pretty uneventful pregnancy.  I didn't have any swelling, I was never on bed rest, avoided gestational diabetes which I learned was very common in multiples.  I worked up until the day they were born and I even ran up until I was 20 weeks- because to that point I didn't know they were triplets and had run right up till the end with #3.  It was around 20 weeks though that I really "popped" and at that point my back began to hurt.

I had had back pain with some of my other pregnancies but certainly not this early on.  At 24 or 25 weeks I finally invested in a support belt.  I got one at Motherhood, but later on tried some others at my physical therapist's office and the Motherhood one ended up being the best for me.  The one I got had a pretty high back but was still flexible.  Since I sit pretty much all day at work, the more stiff ones that the physical therapist offered really didn't work for me.  They dug into me when I sat and I couldn't really bend at all, which was difficult with a toddler at home.  She agreed that this one was probably best for me.

Did it make my back magically 100% good as new?  No- but I was carrying triplets who ended up being nearly 18 pounds of baby in the end.  I did notice a difference when I wasn't wearing it for sure.  I think back pain is probably unavoidable when you are pregnant with multiples, but I did find a few things helped.

  • Changing positions regularly- I could comfortably sit for 15 minutes then stand for a couple, then sit again, then walk around the office and make it through the day.  Since I had to go to the bathroom ALL the time, the short walk to the bathroom or the printer was usually enough for me at work.  At home I'd lie on my side whenever possible.
  • Chairs with lumbar support- I explored a number of office chairs at work, and fiddled with pillows behind me at our dinning room table and when I was driving.  Even just sitting with my hand between my lower back and the chair helped. Be particular about where you chose to sit.  I avoided my couch for probably my last 3 months.  I actually missed it, but it was the worst place I found to sit.  There was nothing I could do to get comfortable there.  Benches without backs were also the enemy.
  • Physical Therapy- I saw a physical therapist who specialized in high risk pregnancies once a week for my last 6 weeks of pregnancy.  She gave me stretches and did massage which did help. She also offered tips for C-section recovery and let me in some pool sessions.
  • "Swimming"- lets be honest its really just floating, but the buoyancy in the water is great.  It took some weight off my poor back muscles.  I was pregnant in the summer and we have a cottage on a lake so I was lucky, but I also did a couple of sessions in the YMCA pool with my physical therapist and learned some water exercises I could do at the lake too.  My favorite thing to do was use a couple of noodles under my arms and just let the water support me.  I was afraid if I got into a tube or any sort of real floating lounge thing, I might never get out, so at least with the noodles I didn't risk that.
  • Side sleeping.  On really bad days when I'd over do it and spend too long standing or walking, the only way I was somewhat comfortable was laying on my side.  The only problem here was if I did this for too long my hip and ribs would hurt!  I recommend fiddling with pillows, under the belly, between the legs etc.  I think its just trial and error.  What feels good to some people doesn't work at all for others.  I think it also depends on where your back pain is.  Mine was lower back mostly.  I found a pillow under my belly was too much, but the physical therapist suggested a towel or blanket because you can adjust the height depending on how you fold it.  This worked for me and then I usually did a pillow between my knees.  Some nights I'd put one kind of under my back.
  • Stretching- this is important and unfortunately I didn't usually do it until I was already hurting.  I should have been better about staying on top of it.  Basic back stretches can be found anywhere, but I will share my favorite.  It requires a partner though.
    • Lay flat on your back- when I did this you could put an arm between my lower back and the surface I was on because of the arch that had developed.  
    • Get someone to gentle pick up your legs by the ankles and pull away from you.  When this happened the space between my back and the bed or table disappeared.  It doesn't take much.  I'd sometimes have my 9 year old do it for me.  If just for a couple of minutes everything was back in line the way it should be and it did provide some relief.
  • Ice- I tried heat which felt good while it was on there, but the ice provide much more long lasting results.  I found that if I proactively iced rather than waiting till it got really bad, I could manage the pain much better.  I'd ice in the car on my way to work, then put my ice pack in the freezer and ice again at lunch time, and on the drive home.  Then at home I'd usually ice before bed.
  • Massage- My older kids were actually pretty good about offering my back rubs when I was really sore.  They weren't by any means professional massage caliber but every little bit helps.  If someone offers- take it!

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone i am here to testify and englighten you on how you can be cure from the disease/virus known as Diabetes as the FDA described that it cannot be cured or there is no cure for it, not knowing that herbal treatment is highly recommended for the treatment and cure for Diabetes its easy and it has no side effect, Doctor James herbal mix medicine it's A1 and a powerful strong  pure natural remedy that can be used in the prevention and elimination of diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome lifestyle Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and overall well-being  are you interested in curing Diabetes now, I am a living testimony of how Dr James herbal mix medicine cured me with natural herbs which I bought from him. You can cure your Herpes, Hepatitis a, b, Gonorrhea, Fibroids ,Infertility ,Epilepsy, Syphilis, Chronic infection, Copd, ,Std, Cancer, Hpv Backache,arthritis etc.........
    for more info send him a DM on
    WhatsApp @ +2348152855846
    Email drjamesherbal@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete